How have we used our PE and sport premium funding?

How should it be spent?

Who is it for?

Most schools with primary-age pupils receive the PE and sport premium in the academic year , including:

  • maintained schools
  • academies and free schools
  • special schools
  • non-maintained special schools
  • city technology colleges (CTCs)
  • pupil referral units (PRUs)
  • general hospitals

Schools receive PE and sport premium funding based on the number of pupils in years 1 to 6. 

Schools must spend the funding to improve the quality of the PE and sport activities they offer their pupils, but they are free to choose the best way of using the money.

For example, funding may be used to:

  • hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
  • provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
  • support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs, holiday clubs and Change4Life clubs
  • run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
  • run sports activities with other schools


PE and Sport Premium Funding